Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Question #1


What is the major theme of this novel?

Why is this theme important to a teenager living in 2007?

I think the major theme of this novel is “Face your fear.” This really stuck in mind as I read the novel. In the context, when one of the little ‘uns said that there is a huge snake, almost everyone was in fear. I thought there was really a snake at first, but as time passed, bigger monsters appeared and I then realized that all the monsters they said are actually their fear. There weren’t any creatures at the island, but they just made it up because of their fear. Basically, they feared at nothing but themselves. I really felt sympathy about that. If I’m alone at home, I keep on getting this feeling that I’m being watched. Also, I get this creepy feeling that I’m keep on hearing something. Without any hesitation, I imagine myself, kidnapped and tortured by strangers whenever I hear something. I think this theme is very important to every teenagers living in 2007. Teenagers especially have more fear than anyone. We all feel unsafe, sad, anticipated at this age time. That is why so many teenagers commit suicide. They always feel gloomy and unsecured about their lives. I want all teenagers to feel safe. If they don’t feel that way, serious consequences that happened in the novel might also happen in the real life. So it is super crucial for teenagers to get rid of their fear. Life is too short just to terrify. “Face your fear!” Rainbow always appears after thunderstorms and harsh rains^^.

No comments: