Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Question #6


Please choose one passage from the novel that is significant to you.


Why is this passage meaningful?


Please type it into one of your entries and comment on what you think about the passage.


““This is ridiculous. You know perfectly well you’ll only meet me down there- so don’t try to escape!” ….. ..“I’m warning you. I’m going to get angry. D’ you see? You’re now wanted. Understand? We are going to have fun on this island. Understand? We are going to have fun on this island! So don’t try it on, my poor misguided boy, or else-“ Simon found he was looking into a vast mouth. There was blackness within, a blackness that spread. “-Or else” said the Lord of the Flies, “we shall do you? See? Jack and Roger and Maurice and Robert and Bill and Piggy and Ralph. Do you. See?” Simon was inside the mouth. He fell down and lost conciseness.” (page 143, 144)

This passage was meaningful to me in many ways. First, it was actually first official dialogue of the Lord of the Flies. Previous, the Lord of the Flies appeared, but he basically talked to himself so this passage reveals the identity of him. Also, this tells us that the Lord of the Flies is the ‘evil one’. From reading this passage, readers can find out that the Lord of the Flies not only knows everyone in the island, but he can control them. When Simon talked with him, he threatens Simon that if Simon tries to escape (if he tries to tell anyone the truth), then he would kill him. If I was in Simon’s position, I would have frozen just like him. Simon face to faced the dark evil itself, so I can imagine how frightened he was. I don’t want to think about having a one o one meeting with the evil itself by myself. Simon eventually ends his life because he tried to tell everyone what the real evil was. I personally liked Simon so I was sad when he died. I think Simon was a very braze and righteous boy since he tried to reveal the truth regardless of the threats from the evil. I think he is so admirable boy. I wouldn’t have made the same choice if I were him. This passage was the most impressive passage of all to me because it was the point where all the problems were solved.

No comments: