Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Question #4


What is the climax of this novel?

What happens?

How do the events of this novel make you feel?

The climax of this story is when Jack kills Piggy. There is a point when he killed Simon too, but this event entirely turned Ralph’s perspective. Before this event occurred, Ralph too was power-hungered, selfish and prejudiced boy. He favored Jack and his choir since they were the strong body guards for him. Anyways, when Jack killed Piggy, Ralph himself has to make an essential decision. Ralph has to join the abominable Jack and his members, and if he does not join them, they will probably kill Ralph too. This is really the ‘point of no return’ in Ralph’s life. He is not sure if he can escape from the island or not, so he finally decides to follow Jack’s will in order to survive. I would have made the same choice if I was Ralph. Surviving is the crucial problem, and it’s very important for him to live so that he can go back to his normal life. Actually, this shocking event ruffled me a lot. I didn’t know that this novel has a dark climax like this. When I was reading this part, I got very frustrated. I felt sorry for Ralph (whom I didn’t really appreciate at first) at that point, and I was especially angry at Jack. I think this book has a very strong climax that really tells us something. It’s not the best climax I have read in my life, but I think the dark climax really hooked me into the novel once again.

No comments: