Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Question #3


Who are the main characters in the novel?

Do you like them? Why or why not?

What is special about them?

What do they reveal about the universal human experience?

Main characters in the novel are Ralph, Piggy, Simon, and Jack. I personally don’t like Ralph. It sounds like Ralph is the protagonist of the novel, but I have no interest in him. Even though he is the leader of the group, he didn’t listen to other people’s opinion. On the contrary, I really liked Piggy. In the story, Piggy came out to be the fat, annoying and useless boy. But from his dialogue, I can see that Piggy is actually the smart one. For example, when the boys tried to set fire, Piggy told them that they will burn the whole island. Also, he was the one who discovered the disappearance of the little boy. I really like Piggy, so I felt very uncomfortable when they murdered Piggy. Through out the whole book, I had pity on Piggy. Simon is one other character that I really liked. Simon was gentle and intelligent hard-worker. This novel killed two characters that I had favor, so this book is certainly not my best book of all. Jack is kind of antagonist of the novel. He is cruel, harsh and selfish boy. I didn’t know that a young boy can be corrupted that much. Actually, I recognized his cruelty when he worked that hard to kill a pig. Characters in the story revel a lot about universal human experience. They explain fairly well about our natural desire toward power. In the story, everyone wanted to gain control. Even though they had a leader, they choose their own way regardless of them. Since there’s no good leader, they all became greedy and selfish. From this novel, we can see what’s really inside our heart.

No comments: