Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Question #5


What is the mood of this novel?

What happens?

How do the events of this novel make you feel?

The mood is this novel is dark. There’s no other word than ‘dark’ to describe the mood of this novel. At first, because of the stunning setting, I thought this novel will be a happy story, on the contrary of the previous novel I read, which is The Animal Farm. I should have realized the mood when Jack was eager to kill pigs! Anyways, the murdering of the teenagers shocked me a lot. I mean, they are younger than me, and they are murders? How can they be corrupted like that? I learned lots and lots of lessons throughout the book. I learned that controlling my temper is one of the most important elements in lives. I felt bad in several different situations as I read this novel. For example, when the boys mistreated Piggy just because he was fat, I was really angry. Piggy was actually the smartest kid out of all, but they just ignored him, judging the book by its cover. When Piggy conversed about their foolishness at the mountain, I was like “Yeah! Piggy! You’re the smartest kid. Ignore what they say, and just say what you want to say!” Actually, I think other readers felt the same when they were reading that part. I think Jack killed Piggy because Piggy was the one who always said what’s true. Everyone hates hearing what’s right, no? That’s why I felt blue of Piggy’s death. This novel really creates the dark force inside us. Even though it was a dark and gloomy book, I really liked William Golding (the author)’s idea.

No comments: