Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Question #7


Are there any settings in this novel which you have found to be beautiful?

or disturbing? or memorable?

Describe these settings and comment on why they were meaningful to you.

The island where the pathetic drifted boys landed is absolutely stunning. William Golding described the island so beautifully in the novel. When I read about all the palm trees, shining sands, emerald sea water and pink rocks especially, I really wanted to go to that island for my summer vacation. I think whole island itself is so memorable to me. All the sea shells and lovely rocks are irresistibly attractive not only to me but all the other reader in the whole world. The island didn’t sound so big in the novel because teenage boys were able to climb the entire mountain, only spending couple of hours (or maybe only an hour). But tiny islands are sweet, too. It would have sound stranger if it was described as a humongous island. I can just imagine the little ‘uns, swimming under the green blue ocean, laughing and joking. It’s just like a paradise in dreams. I can’t really believe that the tragedy actually happed at this charming island. I think the author purposely created a pretty island like this to make the story ironic. It is really contrastive because the horrible and unforgettable murder occurred in a place so wonderful island like this. The author could have created a somber setting, but it was more interesting for readers with an ironic settings. I think it is one of the best backgrounds I have ever read in my whole entire life. I really liked reading a novel with a setting like this.

No comments: